Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day One - Wii Fit Yoga

Last night I started doing some of the Wii Yoga poses. I have the original Wii Fit game, not the Wii Fit Plus, but it does well enough for what I need it for. I tried out a few poses, and I found ones that really focus on my wrists, arms, and posture.

I start with the standing knee pose, which requires you to balance on one foot while pulling your knee in to your chest. On inhale you pull the knee into your chest, and on exhale you relax a bit. It stretches out your legs, makes you focus on your posture to stay in the yellow dot, and also helps strengthen your wrists because majority of the weight from relaxing your knee goes into your hands.

The next pose I do is the palm tree. I find this one extremely difficult to keep balanced. You lift up your heels into an almost tip-toe position and then bring your arms outstretched behind you, palms up. It really helps stretch out your arms and shoulders. Its just difficult to avoid falling on your face.

The third pose, which is vastly popular with those who enjoy yoga, is the warrior. Its a bit difficult to explain, but you place one foot facing forward and then stretch your other leg out behind you. You then turn your other foot and make it face horizontal. Then you bend your knee to focus some of your weight on the foot facing forward and stretch your arms out. It not only stretches your arms, but your legs and back.

I then switch to strength training, and go into the torso twists. You stand straight and stretch your arms out to each side. Then you begin to twist horizontally first at 3 reps, and then go diagonally for another 3 reps. I do 6 reps of each and usually this tires me out and makes my shoulders real tense. I need to get better strength in my arms and wrists. This will help.

After that I play different aerobic and balance games until I get a total of 30 minutes. This usually takes an hour between doing the daily body test, watching the explanations, and changing where the Wii board is sitting. Sometimes I get out Wii Sports and play a bit of bowling when I'm done with the Wii Fit.

Yesterday I did pretty well, but this morning when I went to do it again I noticed my shoulders were sore. I didn't push into any extra games, but focused on my Yoga and Strength training. I really felt the burn in my shoulders.

I'm now going to get to practicing on my machine. Hopefully I won't feel any pain, but I'm going to be working on my Wave, not my manual Stentura. The Wave has a lot lighter touch than the elephant stomp Stentura.I shouldn't feel any tension from working on my machine, only from my new Yoga Workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment