Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day Two - Exhausted

I'm absolutely exhausted right now. Last night my area of the valley got up to 50 MPH winds, and I couldn't get a wink of sleep. I decided to read to see if that would calm my mind down enough and it didn't. At 1 AM in the morning the power went off and stayed off until the morning. It was wonderful stumbling around in the dark a few times. I thought about writing another blog entry during this time, but even though I have a netbook I depend on the family router and WIFI.

I'm getting ready to get into practicing at the machine after a weekend off, but part of me wants to take a nap. I'll probably practice getting some weak spots out of my writing and take a nap then. Sometimes after writing for a while you wake up and those concepts are drilled in. I probably got less than 3-4 hours of sleep though last night due to the wind and extreme noise, so I'm just going to write from hardcopy. I still have my theory book, and I'm planning on keeping it for a while.

I'm going to write from my book and try to get perfects all the way down the sentences I choose. If I don't get them perfect I'm going to start all over again. No more miss and go with the asterisk key; I'm a bit trigger happy when it comes to fixing my errors. I should be depending on getting it right the first time. When I get a set of perfects I'm going to print them out and stick them in a binder. Later on I can go back and read the steno.

I'll probably read the perfect steno sheets on our trip Thursday. We're heading out to Monterey to have a nice family lunch. I'm looking forward to eating some smoked salmon, or some yummy clam chowder. The weather is supposed to be a bit cold, so I'm going to dress warm and hope for the best. Wish me luck.

As for exercising I'm going to give it a beak just for today because my body is just too tired from last night being so insomnia stricken. I'll start back up tomorrow, unless somehow I get a second wind. I doubt I will. 

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas here. The asterisk key just slows us down, especially in the higher speeds. Break the habit now if you can!

    I'd love to read books in steno. I miss reading for fun and would do it more if it was in steno. I might try the binder thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just make sure to take it slow, since us students don't have access to the manage notes feature. Even if you don't save the mess up notes it still somehow gets in there when you print it out, so go slow and make sure you get it accurately. Its what I'm having to do after what I learned today.

    Good luck. :D You know, your blog inspires me too. We're all in this whirlwind called court reporting school together.

    ReplyDelete