Thursday, March 24, 2011

Free Blog Advertising

As a blogger myself I understand how difficult it can be to get your blog an audience. While Google and Yahoo are fantastic searching tools it can be very difficult to be listed on them. After trying for quite a bit I found that a tool, called Pingy, is a mass advertising tool basically. Many blogs ping off a server every time they post something new, and that is how you’re indexed into search websites. Pingy subscribes you to these servers, for free, under keywords that you would like to be searched for.

Since I have a lot of friends who are also bloggers I decided I’d post this. I started realizing where I was getting my traffic from when I kept looking at my Traffic Stats. Most of my traffic came from Michelle Diehl’s blog since she had linked to me, and of course Depoman’s forum, but someone had put my blog on Pingy. I found I was getting at least three or four people to my blog from there and wondered what it was.

After a while I became pretty familiar with it. You need a list of links you want Pinged from your blog. First, get all the main pages from your blog like your profile, your main posts, labels, and any side pages like my ‘Copyright’ and ‘Dictation’ pages. After that start gathering sub-links to your blog, like any labels such as ‘Personal’, ‘Audio’, or ‘Dictation’ you may have. Copy and paste all these URLs into a notepad file. You can post up to 100 URL’s on Pingy to get yourself listed.

Example URL’s:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/Neva-afterTheory
http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheCourtReportersOatmeal
http://neva-aftertheory.blogspot.com/
http://neva-aftertheory.blogspot.com/2011/03/day-five-movies.html

Once you have these URL’s stick them into Word and put them in alphabetical order to better organize them all. It makes it easier to know if you double posted the same link more than once. Now, think of a couple of keywords you want to be known for like ‘Court Reporting Student Blog’, ‘Free StenEd Study Tools,’ or ‘Funny Student Blog.’ List about four or five of these for you to be known by.

After you’ve done this go to http://pingywebedition.somee.com/ and post all your URL’s in the first box, up to 100 URL’s you want advertised, and make sure they’re all proper links. You know the usual http:// and www. websites with the .com at the end. After doing this go to the second box and place in the keywords which you want to be known for. Make sure they’re all proper search terms that people may look for.

Next press the button that says ‘Ping.’ It will show a progress bar with how many URLs you posted and how much has been pinged already. Depending on how many you posted it could take 10 minutes to an hour because of their bandwidth limitations. Pingy really needs the funds right now, so if you can press one of their ads please do so. If you do this though I am not responsible for any viruses or websites you get sent to, this is only to support them. If you do it just make sure you have a good pop-up blocker and updated anti-virus software.

When it is done the bar will be at 100 percent and you can exit out of the window. Voila, you should start getting an expanded audience depending on what people are looking for. Court Reporting Students are pretty low on the net, at least for social blogging and networking, and not many people are interested in our blurbs. However, it’ll put you on Google and Yahoo for those who want to know about your blog and type of information.

Hope this helps you other bloggers out! It’s worked for me, including on the Court Reporter’s Oatmeal who reached over 1,000 views in the time it was around before I left. Now I’m hoping to Ping up Nev’a-After Theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment