Friday, March 18, 2011

Nev'a-After Theory

So I'm Nev, and I've finally passed through six months of court reporting theory. I am looking forward to getting ahead with my 60-80 class. I am already getting into 80 WPM takes. I have spring break away from school, and I'm starting to notice some fatigue in my wrists and in my body. I know its bad, and I need a new direction to keep myself going and to prevent burnout. I started watching some videos on MSN the other day, and this one (clicky) really piqued my interest. It gave some pointers for those who truly want success such as I do in the court reporting profession.

"You know how good it feels when you devote your energy to the things you care about, but in order to keep doing everything that matters to you it’s essential that you care for yourself first." ~ Anna Lappe


"The first key is recognition: Check in with your body. How are you feeling? How is your stomach, are there butterflies? How is your anxiety level, do you feel peaceful? If you say no, that you're off the edge, you better do something about it right away. The first step is to check your priorities. Are you giving away time to things that don't matter? Have you left time for things that are important?" ~ Joan Borysenko

"The second thing is friendship. Most of the data on stress reduction shows that we are the medicine for each other...or pets. I've got a couple of dogs even when friends are nowhere to be found if I pet them those dogs my brain hormones change and the stress level goes down." ~ Joan Borysenko

"...The third thing, its gratitude! Can you imagine if you just got up in the morning and list five things you're grateful for, or before bed you think of one thing you're grateful for that you never really thought much about before. It actually reduces your stress, it improves your immune function, and it makes you more motivated for success. ~ Joan Borysenko

"Centering and Meditation is very important for preventing burnout. Whether you sit and meditate, or do yoga or Qi Gong, it brings you into the present moment so you can let go of fear and worry." ~ Joan Borysenko

"Diet and Exercise, you have to eat right and exercise. Nine servings of fruits and vegetables, and lots of whole grains, will change your body chemistry and put you in a much better mood. And exercise is practically a <unknown>, I can tell you that the Joan who goes out for a bike ride, and the woman who comes back are two totally different people. All my cares disappear." ~ Joan Borysenko

I decided to follow these five pointers in my goal to reach 200 WPM in our class. I'm hoping that by including these in my studies I'm going to start improving myself and getting closer to my goals. I have been especially neglecting  myself and my health, so exercising will be a must through this. I'm probably going to get my Wii Fit out again, which is terribly cheesy, but its a good fun start and it has a timer to keep track of how much time you've spent on it. I think by spending an hour on the Wii and its Yoga/Strength exercises, four hours on my machine doing various activities, and focusing an hour a day on writing this blog will help me improve and get myself back in better focus. Hopefully it works, and wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Many times I've felt like it's a choice between machine practice or exercise. There are so many things that need to be done in a day, and it's hard to find time to do them all. And I think it's good that you have these tips up. I'd have to agree that in order to keep doing the things that are important to us, we must take care of ourselves first. Thanks for the post.

    Also, keep up the good work! I wish you well with your speed building. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit its not easy. I had to cut out a lot of old computer time, which meant cutting out gaming, but I don't want any early retirements due to a weak body on my part. So working hard, and blogging about it, really encourages me.

    Thanks for the good luck! I'll need it next quarter. Good luck with yours too. :D

    ReplyDelete